Monday 30 August 2010

Election Day

I put my name down to work on election day, 21st, at a polling booth. Training was to be given either by computer or by mail, neither of which arrived, but that didnt bother me. At 7.30 I am to be at Athelstane school Arncliffe, and so started a VERY long day till 10pm with half hour for lunch and half hour for dinner. My job was to mark off names and as the tables were not in aphabetical sections, we had to flip through the complete electrol roll and this took time. There were a number of rude people but on the whole the time went by. At six the door were locked and the scrutineers were is to observe the counting. The green papers counted first and then the long whites were unfurled with some greens inside. This was the time consuming and as this was a labour seat, you could just see their pile rise. It was very disappointed to see so many informal papers, some with nothing on them but others with swearing or crude messages. I dont think I will do this again.

No comments: